Wednesday, September 14, 2011

To Boot or Not To Boot

It's that time of year again, when the air crisps, tongues sharpen, and the annual national debate begins again....

Has boot season commenced?



Pro Arguments                                                    

Temperatures are dipping into the mid-fifties in the evenings.

Labor Day was nearly two weeks ago.

Despite being sold-out weeks in advance, an upcoming indoor concert has not been moved to the outdoor venue for fear of inclement weather. Thus, freezing temperature are nearly upon us.

Boots shield 40% of the leg. With skirts shielding 25% to 40% of the leg as well, this leaves 35% max leg exposure, which cuts personal grooming time to barely three minutes (1:30 per limb). Think of the amount of good work I could accomplish for world peace in the extra 7 minute I'd save every morning.

September is primed with great concerts. When attending concerts, slouch boots serve as the perfect substitute for purses. Drop your keys in the left, your wallet and phone in the right, and your hands are free to cheer, chug, and fist pump. (Or "fist-punch," as apparently it's called in Ireland.)

The only jeans I have clean are of the skinny persuasion. Okay, they're actually boot-cut, but for us ladies (and hipster gents) with excessively voluptuous calves, boot-cut are de facto skinny. Skinny jeans require more volume at the ankle to provide a balanced silhouette, which is best provided by a what? That's right, boys and girls. A boot.

Con Arguments                                                    

While temperatures may sink in the evenings, I'm not wearing these boots to bed. So, when they are actually on my feet, it's daylight and possibly around eighty degrees Fahrenheit (26.67 degrees Celsius). And leather normally doesn't allow one's ankles to "breathe."

I remember hearing something somewhere that rain and suede don't get along very well.

Students on campus are still kicking around in flip-flops.

.. .. ..

The voices in my head have spoken. Boots win!

Who knew being politically engaged could be so fun and fashionable?

1 comment:

  1. Thoughts from another boot lover-

    I too was contemplating the appropriateness of breaking out the calf high footwear this early in the season. I decided against it and went with Jeans and the every season go to Sperrys because I didn't think I was fashion forward enough to pull off a pre-season boot wear. Then as I was stuck on HIGH STREET in the rain on my morning commute I noticed that there were large groups of what appeared to be sorority sisters (matching greek letter rain coats) flocking toward campus in a starbucks and glitter enhanced droves. Many of them were wearing flip flops...but a few... just a few.. were rocking what appeared to be suede and leather boots. I envied their fearless puddle stomping and wished that I too had their parents' credit cards burning a hole in MY pocket. Because if I did I could replace my water damaged boots with any number of the 50 or so on here that I am in love with. http://www.thefryecompany.com/womens-boots/view-all/#/womens-boots/view-all/?p=0&s=20
    ~DW

    ReplyDelete