Tuesday, October 21, 2014

If Only This Was Fiction

Documentary File Footage. Friday morning. October 2014. 

Somewhere in the administrative wilderness...




"Hello, this is -- "

"DID YOU HEAR?"




"What?"

"The Internet is down! I can't work on anything!"


"Oh, yeah. I saw Josh earlier, he said something's
wonky with the servers. They're working on it."





"Who?"

"The IT department. They said it should be hit or miss.
Hopefully it's back up after lunch."


"They can fix the Internet? The whole thing?"


"... well, yeah. They're IT."


"Oh wow. Okay. I didn't think they could."


"You don't think our IT department can fix our internet connection?"



"Oh, I know they can fix OUR website. 
I just didn't think they could fix all the other websites."




"... wait. When you say 'all the other websites' what do you mean?



"You know, like the Internet."






"Like the World Wide Web."





"... so ... when you said the whole Internet is down,
you meant ... like .. THE WHOLE INTERNET."



"Yeah."




"I severely doubt that the whole Internet is down."



"Oh, no, it is. That's what it said."



"What what said?"



"The email I got from my computer guy down the hall."



"You got an email ... that said .. that the entire Internet is down."



"Yeah."

"Well, for starters, I don't think that's what he meant.
I think he meant just our university's server."



"Oh no, he meant the whole thing. Here, I'll forward it to you."



"Okay, that brings me to my second point.
You got an EMAIL saying that the INTERNET is down."



"Yeah."



"If the Internet is down
-- like, the whole thing --
how could he send you an email?"



"It's email. Email is different than Internet."



"...Is it, though? "

"Well of course it is."





No comments:

Post a Comment